Buttercream Frosting (vanilla)
- 1 cup softened Butter (2 sticks, salted kind)
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla (clear or regular, depending on what color you want the end result)
- 1/2 teaspoon Artificial Butter Flavor (this can be omitted if not on hand)
- 8 cups sifted powdered sugar (2lb bag) (I am usually lazy and do not sift mine)
- 4 Tablespoons Milk
I find this to be the perfect consistency for piping onto cupcakes. For spreading onto cakes I sometimes need to add 2-4 Tablespoons of Milk or Light Cornsyrup to make it a little more spreadable.
It's also about the right amount for frosting a large 2-3 layered cake nice and thick. Or plenty for 24 cupcakes thickly piped.
This is about as much frosting my kitchen aid bowl can make in one batch.
You can half this recipe easily if you want less frosting.
You can also make whatever flavor you like, by adding different extracts. Almond or raspberry would be yummy. And here is my version of this frosting in Lemon.